Sunday, July 22, 2012

So Long, Sucker!

I'm a terrible mother. I'm one of "those" moms... who talks major crap about all the wrongs other mothers do (but happen to overlook the fact that I do some of those, myself!) Let me give you a prime example...

Exhibit A: The Sucker


I always judged those "other" mothers who had toddlers running around with pacifiers in their mouths. You know... the 2 year olds who couldn't talk right because something was blocking the way of words coming out! Well, why was it wrong for them, and not for me? I have a 21 month old, and I thought our use of one was ok because it was simply for bedtime. The only other time she used it out of the bed, was in the car on long road trips. It kept her quiet - so I was all for it.

Then we get to today... She's an uncontrollable ball of "I WANT!!!" and I thought, you know what? I'm going to take away the one thing she needs more than anything... When that comfort is gone, just maybe she'll simmer down and realize her wants aren't so important. (Not to mention, she's almost 2... she can live without it.)

So tonight, it's "So long, Sucker!" Fortunately, we wore Victoria out with a long walk, followed by an hour of outdoors at the playground. Not sure her legs could go on if she wanted them to. She's currently fed, bathed, and dramatically fake-coughing between forced sobs in her bed. She was fine when I went to sit beside her and pat her on the back... but that's another form of pacification that I won't get started. I love her to death - but one of the major keys in raising children is to help them develop independence! I know... at 21 months, I should be welcoming every chance I get to cuddle my sweet babies... (sucks to be the third!) hehehe

Wish us all luck, and say a little prayer of courage for my little Victoria. It's not easy growing up!

No comments:

Post a Comment