Thursday, January 12, 2012

Fashionista

When I was pregnant with Stevie, I envisioned her growing into my little tomboy. I wanted her to have long, blonde curls and run around barefooted with overalls on and dirt between her toes. (no such luck.) Stevie is a princess. She adores skirts, flats, dresses and knee-high boots. She's recently found a love for jewelry, and even asked for Taylor Swift perfume for Christmas.

Last year, during the winter months of 3rd grade, she chose to wear her beloved yellow halter-top dress
from Children's Place to school. Mind you, we live in Germany where winter brings 25-40 degree weather. When she walked out of her room wearing this damn dress (for the 4th time that month) - it was like nails down a chalkboard... My shoulders drew up towards my head, my hair automatically stood on end. I said nothing. She's in 3rd grade - it's time she learns the consequences of her decisions. (she's gonna freeze her butt...)

I heard her go to the shoe cabinet and ponder her choices. Hmm, fuzzy black crocs... brown boots. snow boots. flip flops... She comes back to the living room and plops down on the couch, clearly frustrated. "Mom, what shoes do I wear to school?" Before I had the chance to answer her, her father chimed in with one of his usual sarcastic answers... "You ought to wear flip flops! You've got a summer dress on!" Not to our surprise, she finished breakfast, grabbed her jacket and backpack, and proceeded to walk to school wearing her pink. flip. flops.

Before I left for work that morning, I shot a quick email to her teacher to let him know that we weren't careless parents... that Stevie had a closet full of winter clothes and snow boots and tennis shoes and socks in her drawer. However, there's a time in every child's life where they need to learn some valuable lessons in decision making. We had lectured until we were blue in the face about wearing things that were appropriate for the weather.

Apparently her teacher had a small talk with her that day - because she didn't wear that dress again until the weather took a turn for the warmer.

(there's a part II to this Fashionista post.) It's a story from 1st grade - but this post was long enough, so I'll save it for later!

No comments:

Post a Comment